If you can relate to any of the above questions we’d like to answer all your queries once and for all. After reading this article, you will be clear about which therapist you need. There is a lot of confusion among masses regarding the differences between these two amazing methods of healing, such it’s difficult to choose a therapist that suits your issues perfectly. Physiotherapy and massage therapy, both are aimed at relieving pain and restoring the body to its optimum levels of health. They both have the power to restore the function and vitality of the body.
Key Differences between Physiotherapy and Massage Therapy
- Physiotherapy services treat acute and chronic injuries and help with injury prevention. Massage therapy is used for muscle relaxation and muscular pain alleviation. In physiotherapy, you will have to give a detailed medical history and undergo an extensive physical examination before starting treatment. A Massage therapist does a detailed medical history and depending on the goals of the patient can do a physical assessment prior to determining what type of massage will be needed. At EnduraHEALTH, with your permission your massage therapist and physiotherapist may discuss your needs and collaborate in providing hands-on treatment and an appropriate exercise plan to maximize your outcomes.
- Physiotherapy treatment at EnduraHEALTH takes an evidence-based exercise-as-medicine approach. Evidence-based treatment of many injuries includes using strength-building and muscle stretching techniques to address issues of tightness and weakness which can lead to pain, dysfunction, and poor sport performance. Physiotherapy will use hands-on techniques including mobilization with movement, muscle energy, functional dry needling and joint mobilization to improve mobility and mitigate pain. Massage therapy focuses on tissue manipulation by hand and may include the use of certain oils/creams. Kneading, gliding, compressions, friction, percussion, vibrations, and stretching are the main techniques used by a massage therapist without involvement of any medical equipment or gadget. Together, your massage therapist and physiotherapist will work to help you manage your symptoms so that you can give your all to your exercise plan and ultimately improve pain, strength and performance.
- Rehabilitation is the main focus of physiotherapy; while massage therapy provides relief for muscular pain. Massage therapy can be seen as a preventive holistic measure to maintain a good state of health; while physiotherapy is the active element of injury recovery and prevention.
- Massage therapy can provide mental relaxation and stress relief in a calm setting through relaxation massage and central nervous system stimulation. Massage therapy can provide stress relief by manipulating specific trigger points and trigger areas. A relaxation massage session from a registered massage therapist can be effective in reducing mental stress and anxiety. Stress management in physiotherapy is typically achieved through exercise and mindfulness meditation.
- Physiotherapy is a compulsory component of managing many critical diseases while massage therapy is tailored for overall wellness. In cases of major diseases, you must consult your doctor before getting started with any physiotherapy and massage therapy programs.
- Physiotherapy is a compulsory component to manage many critical diseases while massage therapy is tailored for overall wellness. In cases of major diseases, you must consult your doctor before getting started with any physiotherapy and massage therapy programs.
Have Questions About Physiotherapy and Massage Therapy?